Friday, October 25, 2019

Filming

    Today, we filmed, and it went fairly smoothly. It didn't go exactly as I had envisioned it but that's to be expected, seeing that one, I wasn't working by myself after all, and two, nothing ever goes exactly as planned. We were prepared and everything was in order as they should have been. The area we had picked out did have more groups that I thought but it didn't impede us from the film the scenes we needed. Speaking of, we successfully shot all the scenes we needed, the weather was clear and posed no threat to the equipment or the film. The only issue was that the day was a bit cloudy and the light was in a constant state of change due to the sun being covered and uncovered. We got around it but seeing that we haven't put the footage together yet, I'm unsure how it's going to come out. The finished product is kinda unpredictable right now. I hope that it'd turn out fine but I have a reasonable suspicion that we'll have more than one hiccup during the editing process. We might even have to reshoot.
     It's not like we didn't cover all bases, if just that, for our first time filming, we might have to pull a bit more weight stitching together our work. Since I was the cameraman, I took all the shots; minus three. Under the advisement of another group member, Emily, we decided to take all the shots separately and in threes. I wanted to do a full take and split it after, but I was overshadowed. Personally, I think taking three full takes would have been better but what's done is done. Since I did have a part in one scene I did temporalty relinquish my position behind the camera so I can't speak for every shot. For every other one though, I feel more could have been done. The pans in the storyboard, to me, didn't translate well with the constant stopping. With that, the relative positions of the subjects are going to be off. Since all shots we're taken separately, the subjects in each won't be in the exact place they were when taking shots that have angle changes or a change in apparel.
     Amongst this, we did have one technical issue. It wasn't really an issue, but it's worth mentioning; since it puts into context the time constraint we had. Following the procedures laid out to us beforehand, we got our equipment; this was before we started filming of course. We took, (if I'm not mistaken), a good thirty minutes to leave the room once we got our things. We had to switch out a camera due to its low battery life, but once we got that sorted, we were out. We finally get to the track field and I, since I was carrying the equipment, set up the tripod and prepared the camera. I did all this only to figure out that the piece needed to connect the camera to the tripod was missing. I had to run back to the room to get one, taking up a good ten minutes altogether. In an hour and thirty-minute class, taking out a wasted forty minutes, we only have forty minutes to film, seeing that we had to return within the last ten minutes of class. We got a lot done, but our time usage wasn't the best. This may seem hyper-critical, but its the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment